Saturday, February 20, 2010

Birthday Parties & Behavior Modification

My son’s 12th birthday party was this afternoon and it was an awesome learning opportunity. 11 6th grade boys loaded up on sugar, pizza, and soft drinks and then unleashed to play laser tag and video games create a wonderful occasion to practice classroom management skills. Here are a few things I learned today:

Pre-Organize – More work performed ahead of time means less time wasted later. My wife did a great job of arranging many elements of the party days ago. That saved time today and allowed us to focus on the guests and not the details of the party.


Keep Children Busy – When people are actively involved in something, learning happens almost automatically. Standing in a long line for a round of laser tag can be a little boring. Asking the game attendant for a map of the laser tag course and then letting the boys work on a strategy for playing the game engaged them in a constructive cognitive task.


Delegate – Give people a job to do. With so many energetic boys on hand, I realized that I wouldn’t have to carry a thing to the upstairs party room. I had almost every guest carry cupcakes, coolers, or gifts. I just showed them where to go and told them to wait for me when they got there. They did a super job.


Say Thank You – I thanked every guest and his parent(s) for coming. I thanked the boys for their good behavior and noted specific instances of aforementioned good behavior. I also thanked the staff when we left. Giving thanks goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment