Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You Can't Cross an Ocean Without Leaving Port

In 2 short days I’ll take a leave of absence from my job. This event has been years in the planning but it seems to have rushed to the forefront very, very fast in recent weeks. During my leave of absence I’ll embark on the student teaching portion of my final semester in college. I’m excited about that. It will be extremely interesting to be in the classroom and actually doing all the neat things I’ve learned about over the years as well as learning new things each day. What’s surreal is the fact that I won’t be a computer guy anymore. Since 1991, I’ve been a computer technician. I’m comfortable with it because it’s what I know. It’s safe. The few times that I’ve changed jobs over the years were more of an exchange of one tech job for another. This time is different. Really different. I’m leaving one career that has essentially become my identity for another that is full of unknowns for me. I’m very grateful for the adventure that is afoot though. It will be a process of adjustments that I’m looking forward to taking on. I read this great quote recently; “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not why ships are built.” This Friday, I’ll raise my sails and set a course for a new destination. In the mean time, I’ve got some computer problems to solve.


No comments:

Post a Comment